Weekday Sketchers at American Museum of Natural History
Inside or Outside
It is that time of year when winter is leaving and spring is coming, but winter just won't let up its hold on us. One day warm the next a snowstorm. It makes planning a bit difficult. We want to be outdoors to sketch but we need a place to get indoors if the weather gets bad.
Our schedule calls for us to go to the American Museum of Natural History and fortunately it offers us both options. If it is nice, we will be outside. If it is nasty we will go inside. OR you can choose either option regardless of the weather. For those choosing inside, there is so much to do. For those choosing outside, the views of the Gothic buildings or the glass cube of the Planetarium with the gardens in front offer many opportunities for beautiful sketches.
This is a bit confusing BUT we can do it!! We will meet at the side entrance by the Planetarium on 81st Street at 10:30 AM. We can then decide to go inside or out. We can decide to meet for lunch inside or out. The weather forecast is for rain with a high of about 60. It can go either way. (The forecast for Saturday was rain all day and it turned into a beautiful spring day.)
DATE: WEDNESDAY MARCH 23, 2022
STARTING TIME: 10:30 AM
LOCATION: AMERICAN MUSEUM OF NATURAL HISTORY.
Central Park West and 81st Street
TRANSPORTATION: B or C train to 81st St Museum of Natural History station.
|81st street entrance|
- There is an entrance fee of $23 for adults and $18 for seniors, but there is a pay-as-you-wish policy. The American Alliance of Museum membership is accepted. You can make a reservation of purchase it at the door. If you have the AAM card you go to the membership desk to get your ticket.
- You will have to follow COVID protocols
- Please RSVP to Raylie Dunkel at Rayliedunkel1@gmail.com
- We will meet at the entrance on 81st Street to determine if we are working indoors or out. We will wait there for about 10 minutes and then head out to sketch. If you arrive later, call or text Raylie Dunkel at 201-273-0445 to find the group.
- We will break for lunch at 1:00 PM. If you come after 10:30 call Raylie for information on where we will meet for lunch.
- There is a cafeteria on site
- For indoor work bring a stool. A headlamp is a good idea as many exhibits are in dark rooms
- You can work in watercolor if you are discrete.