Where: The Metropolitan Museum is located at 1000 Fifth Avenue. The main entrance is at E. 82nd Street. However, I usually enter the museum using the small entrance off of E 81 Street. The signs imply it's a school entrance, but anyone can use it. You can usually get in more quickly there.
- From the east side take the 6 train to 77th St. or the 4,5 or 6 train to 86th St. Walk three blocks west to Fifth Avenue. This walk is about a half mile and takes approximately 10 minutes.- Or travel up the west side and walk across Central Park, by taking the C train to 81 St or 86th. It’s a slightly longer walk crosstown taking the Broadway line 1 train to 79 St or 86th.If you prefer to take a bus instead of walking - Take the 1 train to 86th Street, then the M86 crosstown bus across Central Park to Fifth Avenue; OR take the C train to 81st Street, then the M79 bus across Central Park to Fifth Avenue.
The museum has its own parking. The Museum parking garage, located at Fifth Avenue and 80th Street, is open 24 hours a day, seven days a week. A parking discount is available to Museum Members and Patrons during Museum operating hours. To receive a discount, Museum Members and Patrons must have their tickets validated at the Uris Center for Education Membership/Visitor Information Desk.
Lunch: We'll break at 12:00 to have a luncheon in the cafeteria one level below the American Wing. See the attached map for the location of the stairs. We’ll meet in the back of the cafeteria on the left side. Bring your own food if you prefer or purchase from the cafeteria.
Afternoon: 1:00 PM Yes! More sketching.
Show and Tell: 3:00 PM - Meet back in the cafeteria to share sketches, tell stories and talk about art supplies.
- The Museum’s policy is pencils and dry media only. It is unevenly enforced.
- The coat check is no longer available and you’ll need to carry everything you bring
- Stools are absolutely permitted. Some guards are not aware of this. Be polite but you are in the right. No tripods.
- Purchasing a ticket in advance saves time. Or, just show your card if you are a member
Can't find us?
Call or Text Mark - 973-809-9128