Weekday Sketchers at Rubin Museum on THURSDAY
Join us for a special event at the Rubin Museum this week!
Judy Garz, one of our own members, is a docent at the Rubin Museum of art, which specializes in Art of the Himalayas. Judy will be leading the first Winter Talks Tuesday evening. (find the link to register here: https://nyc.urbansketchers.org/2022/12/our-first-winter-talk.html). As a follow up to the discussion, the Rubin Museum has graciously made arrangements for NYC Urban Sketchers to visit the museum free of charge. The Weekday Group will be going on Thursday and the Weekend Group will go on Saturday.
If you have been to the Rubin you know how magical it is to walk into a world completely different from our every day NYC environment: Buddhas greet you, deities of human and animal forms welcome you, Mandalas invite you to sit and mediate. The intricate and colorful tapestries and wall hangings abound with symbolism. The statues and artifacts invoke the supernatural. It is all strange and wonderful, and now with Judy's guidance, it will be ever more meaningful as we become more knowledgeable about the art of the Himalayas.
Join us for the Winter Talk, then come with your new understanding of Asian culture and art to absorb the atmosphere and sketch the scene
DATE: THRUSDAY DECEMBER 15, 2022
STARTING TIME: 10:30 AM
LOCATION: RUBIN MUSEUM OF ART
159 WEST 17TH STREET Between 6th and 7th Avenues
We will meet in the main lobby
TRANSPORTATION: 1 Train to 18th Street (nearest stop) or any subway into 14th Street and walk over to the museum
- Please RSVP directly to Raylie Dunkel at Rayliedunkel1@gmail.com
- Looking for us? Call or Text Raylie at 201-273-0445
- Admission is free for this event, please identify yourself as an Urban Sketcher
- Bathrooms and water are avaiable
- There is no food service on site but coffee and tea are served in the cafe.
- You can bring lunch in from outside to eat in the cafe.
- Bring a stool
- Be prepared to work in dry media.