Weekday Sketchers at Gowanus Canal
Please note that this is a change from the previously posted schedule.
Join us this week as we visit one of the notorious areas of NYC, the Gowans Canal. Carved out of ancient salt flats and fresh water streams it was once one of the busiest waterways in the country. Now know for its infamous pollution it was designated a superfund site. Now initiatives by many public/private organizations are breathing new life into this area. For information about the history, the pollution and the re-establishment of this district, visit the Gowanus Canal Conservancy website: https://gowanuscanalconservancy.org
We will meet in the park boarding the canal behind the Whole Foods on the corner of 3rd Avenue and 3rd Street in Brooklyn. From there you can wander along the edge of the canal and walk across some of the bridges to capture the scene that best captures the old industrial and the new environmentally corrected views of the canal and the neighborhood.
DATE: WEDNESDAY MAY 18, 2022
STARTING TIME: 10:30 AM
LOCATATION: 3RD AVENUE AND 3RD STREET BROOKLYN
Behind the Whole Foods parking lot
TRANSPORTATION: F or G to 9th Street Station or the N, R, W, or D to 9th Street Station.
This will leave you off at 4th Ave and 9th Street, Walk to 3rd Ave and 3rd Street to the meeting spot.
- Please RSVP directly to Raylie Dunkel at Rayliedunkel1@gmail.com
- Looking for us? Call or text Raylie at 201-273-0445
- There are benches in the park but bringing a stool will offer you more options
- Bathrooms are available in Whole Foods
- Bring lunch or purchase it at Whole Foods or the many vendors in the area.
- Optional afternoon sketching at the Old Stone House of Brooklyn
|Old Stone House|