Weekday Sketchers At Poe House
Did you know that all those scary tales of beating hearts and talking crows were created right here in the Bronx?
Join us this week as we travel to the home of Edgar Allen Poe.
This modest cottage, which Poe rented for $100. per year, has survived over 225 years on the Grand Concourse. The house was built around 1797 and preserving its historical value began in 1889 when it was sold for $775 to William Fearing Gill who later became Poe's first American biographer. The cottage is now part of the Historic House Trust, and administered by the Bronx County Historical Society since 1975.
The head of the Bronx County Historical Society will give us a tour before we sketch - lots of interesting background.
For more information about the Poe House, click here: https://bronxhistoricalsociety.org/poe-cottage
A big THANK YOU to Andrea Strongwater for making the arrangements for us to visit the Poe House
DATE: WEDNESDAY JANUARY 17, 2024
STARTING TIME: 10:30 AM
There will be a guided tour of the house upon arrival
LOCATION: POE HOUSE
2640 GRAND CONCOURSE, BRONX
- Take the D train to Kingsbridge Road stop in The Bronx. Poe Park, where the cottage is situated, is outside the station.
- Take the 4 train to Kingsbridge Road stop in The Bronx. Walk east to Grand Concourse. The cottage is located across the boulevard, on the right.
- Please RSVP directly to Raylie Dunkel at President@nycurbansketchers.org
- Looking for us? Call/text Raylie at 201-273-0445
- There is an entrance fee to the museum.$5.00 for Adults. $3.00 for Seniors
- Bring a stool
- Water and bathrooms are available
- We will break for lunch at 1:00 PM
- Be prepared to work in dry materials