Weekday Sketchers at LIRR Terminal
Its deep underground, has the longest escalators in the city, has beautiful art work and according to one pundit, has that "new train station smell" (meaning it doesn't smell bad)!
Can you guess what is it?
Its the new Long Island Rail Road Terminal on the east side officially called Grand Central Madison
Join us this week as we explore the newest addition to the NYC transit system. Built in a man-made cave 15 stories underground the new LIRR terminal is a technological and artistic tour d'force. The corridors are big and shiny bright with interesting quotes from quintessential New Yorkers (Yoko Ono, Seinfeld and Georgia O'Keefe) carved into the walls. The escalators take two minutes to ride down to the mezzanine level and end at a plaza with Kiki Smith murals. The main waiting room has video art and the concourse level as a full city block mural by Kusama. Oh, and one thing more....the bathrooms are gorgeous!
For more information about the facility and the art work, click here: https://new.mta.info/agency/long-island-rail-road/grand-central-madison-guide
Click here for an article in Time Out NY about the station: https://www.timeout.com/newyork/news/let-me-tell-youthe-new-grand-central-madison-will-be-great-once-there-are-enough-trains-030823
|Kusama Mural on the Madison Concourse level|
We will start our day in the Main Hall by the Kusama mural adjacent to the ticketing area off of Vanderbilt Ave between 47 and 48 Street. We will sketch the terminal for a while then then if time and interest allows we can walk to the Main Library to continue sketching.
Click here for information about the NYPL: https://www.nypl.org/locations/snfl
DATE: WEDNESDAY MARCH 15, 2023
STARTING TIME: 10:30 AM
LOCATION: GRAND CENTRAL MADISON: LIRR East Side Terminal
Main Hall by in front of the Kusama mural near the ticket counter
TRANSPORTATION: Any line that will take you to 42nd Street on the east side
|Kiki Smith Mural Mezzanine Level|
- Please RSVP directly to Raylie Dunkel at Rayliedunkel1@gmail.com
- Looking for us? Call or text Raylie at 201-273-0445
- There are multiple ways to enter the area from the street, the subway near the shuttle and from Grand Central food hall. There are two elevators (47th and 48th Streets) at street level that will take you down to the Concourse level. They might be a bit hard to find behind some construction barriers. Check the map for details
- Bring a stool
- Water and bathrooms are available.
- Food is available in the Grand Central Terminal Food Hall
- Bring lunch or a snack. Depending on time and interest we can break for lunch at the terminal or move on to the library.