NYC Urban Sketchers 2nd Annual Picnic Celebration!
- When and Where: Queens Botanical Garden-August 19th, 2023
- Saturday August 19th- with a rain date of August 20th
- Purchase ticket on Eventbrite click here!
- Address: 43-50 Main Street, Queens, NY, 11355
We have a special relationship with the Queens Botanical Garden. It's such a wonderful spot for our annual Picnic, and they love the idea of artists capturing the beauty of the surroundings. As someone who plans events, their warm attitude is appreciated.
The Queens Botanical Garden is a real gem. The 39-acre site features rose, bee, herb, wedding, and perennial gardens; an arboretum; and an art gallery.
We’ve rented a gorgeous indoor space, and we 've planned loads of surprises for you, including a Silent Auction of really cool things, Raffle prizes of equally cool things, a “Garage” Sale of new and gently used art supplies. Prizes sponsored by, Blick, Daniel Smith, Etchr, Legion Paper, Strathmore, Stillman and Birn and more! Please bring cash or checks for these items. All winners must be present to win prizes.
The $10.00 fee includes admission to the garden, free sweets, and drinks. Bring your own lunch or purchase from the many stores and restaurants in the neighborhood. Please try to bring your event ticket with you.
WHAT IF THE WEATHER DOESN'T COOPERATE?
We can deal with overcast and even threatening weather. A brief downpour won't be a problem since we have this great indoor space that can keep us dry while we sketch. However, if the weather is really awful - we have a rain date of the following day, Sunday August 20th. A decision will be made on Friday August 18th.
What: NYC Urban Sketchers Second Annual Picnic Summer Celebration
Where: The Queens Botanical Gardens - 43-50 Main St, Queens.
When: Get there at 10:00am to enjoy the full day. Sleeping late? Come anyway - we’ll be there.
Timeline: The garden is open 8am-6pm. You are welcome within that time. But our sketch event will be as follows:
10:00am: Official start to sketch event
11:00am: Auction bidding, garage sales, and raffle sells start
Lunch: Bring Your own lunch, or get lunch in the area, there are many choices!
2:00pm: Last call for bids. Refreshments
2:45pm: Winner announcements. Must be present to win. (This is a tough one, it means you have to keep track of the time while you're sketching and socializing. But, there are so many cool things we'll be auctioning that you won't want to miss it!_
HOW TO GET THERE:
- Parking Garden Entrance (parking costs $10) 42-80 Crommelin Street, Flushing
- Midtown Tunnel — Tunnel to Long Island Expressway (East) to Exit 23 Main Street. Turn left onto Main Street. Follow to Dahlia Avenue and turn left. Dahlia Avenue becomes Crommelin Street. The parking lot entrance is on the left.
- Triborough Bridge — Bridge to Grand Central Parkway to Long Island Expressway (East). Follow directions from Midtown Tunnel.
- Queens, Brooklyn, and Staten Island — Belt Parkway or Jackie Robinson Parkway to Van Wyck Expressway to Exit 12A (College Point Boulevard). Follow College Point Boulevard to Blossom Avenue. Make right. Blossom Avenue becomes Crommelin Avenue. Make a quick right into the Garden’s parking lot.
- Long Island — Long Island Expressway (West) to Exit 23 Main Street. Make right turn on Main Street. Follow to Dahlia Avenue and turn left on Dahlia Avenue. Dahlia Avenue becomes Crommelin Street. The parking lot entrance is on the left.
- New Jersey — New Jersey Turnpike to George Washington Bridge I-87 south to Triborough Bridge. Follow directions from Triborough Bridge.
- Upstate and Connecticut — Throgs Neck Bridge to Clearview Expressway to Long Island Expressway (West). Follow directions from Long Island.
- Take Q44SBS or Q20A/B from the Bronx or Jamaica, or in Flushing.
- Take the no. 7 subway or Long Island Rail Road (Port Washington line) to Main Street/Flushing.
- Then, take the Q44SBS or Q20A/B bus, or walk eight blocks south to QBG along Main Street.