Weekday Sketchers at Snug Harbor Wednesday
PROGRAM CANCELED DUE TO RAIN
|Original 19th Century Buildings|
Once the home to thousands of retired sailors, Snug Harbor has been resurrected as a multifunctional community resource on the north shore of Staten Island. If you have never been there, it will be a surprise how large and diverse the campus is: beautiful old buildings, cultural centers, botanic gardens and the Chinese Scholar's Garden. It is an easy trip from the Staten Island Ferry Terminal across the NY Harbor and past Lady Liberty. Then a short bus ride will drop us off right in front of the gates.
There is a lot to do, see and sketch at Snug Harbor. This will be a longer sketch day than the Weekday Group usually has. Please adjust your schedule accordingly. We will start earlier than usual and the expectation is that we will be there later than just the lunch break, but feel free to come when you can and leave when you must.
For more information about Snug Harbor, it's history and services, click here:https://snug-harbor.org
|Chinese Scholar's Garden|
DATE: WEDNESDAY JULY 19, 2023
STARTING TIME: 9:00 AM.
We will meet at the Staten Island Ferry Terminal at Whitehall and take the 9:00 ferry to Staten Island. The Ferry runs every 15 minutes until 9:30 and then every half hour. If you miss the 9:00 ferry, just take the next one. Follow the directions below and text Raylie when you get there to determine the group's location.
LOCATION: SNUG HARBOR, Staten Island
1000 Richmond Terrace, Staten Island
DIRECTIONS: 1 train to South Ferry or the 4/5 train to Bowling Green or the R train to Whitehall. Exit and walk south to blue neon Staten Island terminal to take FREE ferry. After landing in Staten Island take the S40 bus at Gate D to travel along Richmond Terrace, less than a 10-minute ride. Let the bus driver know that you want to get off at Snug Harbor.
- Please RSVP directly to Raylie Dunkel at Rayliedunkel1@gmail.com
- Looking for us? Call or text Raylie at 201-273-0445
- We will meet at the Staten Island Ferry Terminal to take the 9:00 AM ferry. If you miss that ferry just take the next one and meet us at Snug Harbor
- Admission to Snug Harbor is free.
- The Chinese Scholar's Garden opens at noon and admission is $5 for adults and $4 for Seniors
- Water, bathrooms and food are available on site
- There is a cafe and ice cream stand but you might want to bring your own food
- Bring a stool
|Meet at Staten Island Ferry Terminal|
|Take the S40 Bus from Ferry Terminal along Richmond Terrace to Snug Harbor|