SATURDAY, February 13, 2016
There is no event like it.
It's not really Urban Sketching
but it's a challenge that will tax your sketching skills
|The Warm IBM Atrium
Photo by Advocates for Public Spaces
The Portrait Party is the sketching equivalent of running a marathon, - it's exhilarating - it's exhausting. It is hours of non-stop sketching. Each portrait takes 10 minutes and there is practically no break in the action.
This event has specific instructions so please read if you're thinking of attending:
There are two classes of participation Registered and Unregistered:
1. Registered Participants commit to staying for the entire time - you can’t leave early. Your work is needed to create the GRID.
2. Each Registered Participant will be supplied with Portrait Party paper. High quality 9 x 12 140 pound watercolor paper - one sheet for each portrait. The paper is yours to keep. I will ask for a voluntary contribution of $8 to help defray the cost of the paper.
3. When we're done we will be displaying the finished work in a grid (see pictures and video) so your work needs to be visible at a distance. That means you need to work BOLD. You cannot work in pencil. Bring markers, dark pens, watercolor - BOLD! Your work must be readable at fifteen feet.
3. Each portrait must be completed in ten minutes - use a medium that allows you to cover the paper quickly
4. We'll be sketching round-robin style, so you'll get a chance to sketch everyone in your group and everyone will get a chance to sketch you. This is the reason you can not come late or leave early.
It’s a fun event to sketch. We’d love if you take photographs or videos. Feel free to join us.
Note: you will not be given paper or and any work you do will not be included in the GRID. You’re also free to come and go at any time.
HOW TO REGISTER:
There are a limited number of registered participants we can accommodate. Send me an email if you want to participate . Click this link to Register
|Photo of the GRID
from the First Portrait Party
Where: The IBM Atrium at 590 Madison Avenue (between 56th and 57th Streets) – Take the 4/5/6 or N/R to 59th Street or the E train to Lexington Avenue
When: Get there at 10 AM for the warm up. Use your own paper during the warm up. We'll distribute the paper and get started on the timed portraits at 11 AM sharp.
Lunch: We will have lunch at approximately 12:30. We will eat in the Atrium. Food is available in the building and at a variety of stores nearby. We will continue after lunch until everyone has had a chance to be the model.
Show and Tell: 3:00 - The Show portion will be at the Atrium when we set up the Grid. The Tell portion will happen when we're done. We'll be at The Bar Room, 117 E 60th St
Click to see videos
The Frist Portrait Party
The Second Portrait Party
Can't find us?
Call or Text Mark - 973-809-9128
All drawing skill levels are welcome