Let's do something different this week and travel back in time to experience revolutionary history and see what life was like during the 1781 Encampment of American and French troops in Greenburgh! It will be a great opportunity for us to practice our reportage skills by documenting the day through our sketches.
- Tour Washington’s Revolutionary War Tents & Encampment, guided by historic interpreters from Philadelphia’s acclaimed Museum of the American Revolution.
- Meet George Washington, Le Comte de Rochambeau, and Ben Franklin.
- See military marching and drills by re-enactors of the 5th New York Regiment and Hearts of Oak.
- Toys, games, and activities for kids; demonstrations of Colonial cooking, wool spinning, blacksmithing, and more!
- Learn about the role Odell House Rochambeau Headquarters played in the encampment and how this historic site is being restored.
242 years ago, in the summer of 1781, the Continental Army under the command of George Washington and the French Army under the command of Le Comte de Rochambeau, marched into Greenburgh with 9,000 soldiers and camped for six weeks. Rochambeau stayed at the Odell House and it was there that the two generals made a crucial decision that resulted in the final victory that won the Revolutionary War.
DATE: SATURDAY, September 30, 2023 Rain Date: October 1, 2023
By TRAIN Transportation from Grand Central Terminal, NYC: Metro North Harlem Line to the Hartsdale Station. Find schedule Information Please call Marianne to arrange for pick up and ride to the site.
- Colonial Day festivities are from 10 AM to 4 PM.
- Admission is $10. Pay when you park with cash, check or Visa, MasterCard and Discover cards. No electronic payments.
- Parking at Ridge Road Park, 287 Ridge Road, Hartsdale, N.Y. Free shuttle bus service to the nearby event. Handicap parking available at the Hart’s Brook Park site.
- Bring a hat, sunscreen, and tick/insect repellent.
- Bring a stool for the best sketching options.
Please RSVP to Cathy (email@example.com).
Looking for us?
Call/text: Cathy at (914) 625-0766.