Rockefeller State Park Preserve offers quiet countryside walks of all lengths through forested hills and valleys surrounding sunlit pastoral fields. Thirty miles north of New York City, the property is the former Pocantico Hills and Rockwood Hall country estates of John D. Rockefeller family and William Rockefeller. Since 1983, the Rockefeller Family has generously donated over 1771 acres to the State of New York to safeguard these lands for present and future generations. The Preserve is open to the public year-round, sunrise to sunset.
Possible sketching sites/attractions within or near the park preserve:
- Fern Garden-located at the entrance.
- Swan Lake-a 22-acre lake located a short walk from the art gallery.
- Rockefeller Art Gallery-gallery of two-dimensional arts.
DATE: THURSDAY, September 21, 2023
Preserve Main Entrance: 125 Phelps Way, Pleasantville, NY 10570
START TIME: 10:00 AM.
LOCATION: Rockefeller State Park Reserve https://www.friendsrock.org/
Phone: (914) 631-1470
We'll meet at the visitor entrance.
By TRAIN Transportation from Grand Central Terminal, NYC: Metro North Hudson Line to the Tarrytown Station. Find schedule Information From there you can take a short taxi/Uber ride from train station to the Preserve Office on Rt. 117 in Pleasantville. Please call Marianne to arrange for pick up and ride to the site.
LUNCH: 1:00 PM Bring your own, lunch or snack, and water.
SHOW and TELL: After lunch. This is the social part of our day where we share our drawings, tips, and stories. It is a time not to be missed.
- Grounds are open dawn until dusk.
- Restrooms are available onsite.
- Parking is $6.00 per vehicle. Please NOTE: Golden Park Pass for NYS seniors 62 and over. Simply use your NYS driver's license at the pay stations for free vehicle access Monday-Friday
- Bring a hat, sunscreen, and tick/insect repellent.
- Bring a stool for the best sketching options.
Please RSVP to Cathy (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Looking for us?
Call/text: Cathy at (914) 625-0766.
There are no fees. All drawing skill levels are welcome.